- We need to get a 50,000 ft. view of the process first
- Identify the process in simple terms
- Identify External Inputs (raw materials, employees, etc.)
- Identify the Customer Requirements (Outputs) (required temperatures, lot numbers, etc.)
- Make sure to include all value-added and non value-added steps
- Include both process and product output variables
SIPOC Airline Reservation Example
Once you have an agreed upon and more importantly, understood, SIPOC – understanding the SIPOC implies that you can easily identify opportunities for improvement – you can proceed to the next step in the Analyze phase of your project.