Summary of the GDPR
• GDPR Compliance (General Data Protection Regulation) is an EU regulation, which comes into effect on May 25 and protects EU citizens’ user privacy and data
• Though Votidetection.com’s user data is stored on Canadian servers, it is not exempt from the GDPR.
• Canada is recognized for its accountability vis à vis its PIPEDA act (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act)
• Certain elements of your website need work to comply
• While Votidetection.com is not explicitly collecting user data, it does use third-party services such as Google Analytics, which collects anonymous user data in cookies
GDPR Checklist for your website
1. Your website collects data on visitors, such as via Google analytics.
2. Your site has a registration form
3. You have e-commerce functionality on your site; that is, you collect information to process payments, orders etc.
4. You have a newsletter sign-up form
5. You include social media links on your pages e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc.
6. You use a comments system for your articles
8. You have a contact form for users to get in touch.